Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Was their really a Sargent Sharpe i read it in a different book to sharpe's triumph and dont Kn

I think Sharpe is a fictional character but has a detailed biography derived from meticulous research:



http://www.sharpetorium.info/bio.html



In Bernard Cornwell's own words:



''I wasted hours trying to find my hero鈥檚 name. I wanted a name as dramatic as Horatio Hornblower, but I couldn鈥檛 think of one (Trumpetwhistler? Cornetpuffer?) so eventually I decided to give him a temporary name and, once I had found his real name, I would simply go back and change it. So I named him after Richard Sharp, the great rugby player, and of course the name stuck. I added an 'e鈥? that was all.''



http://www.southessex.co.uk/



Here is a list of questions that the author has answered; you may find them interesting (there are a lot!):



http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm...



Was their really a Sargent Sharpe i read it in a different book to sharpe's triumph and dont Know?noton



Not in real life



Was their really a Sargent Sharpe i read it in a different book to sharpe's triumph and dont Know?stinger



There will always be a Seargent Sharpe in the Army, but whether there was a Sgt Sharpe as in Sharpes Triumph I am not so sure, I think it is a fictional character
If you are asking whether the 'Sharpe' stories by Bernard Cornwell are realistic and 'good' history they are, there are a number of stories similar to Sharpe's, in terms of rising through the ranks of the British army, around 12% of the officers in the later years of the Napoleonic wars had risen through the ranks.



Sharpe meets many real people in the books - there are currently 23 (I think) - including Wellington, the Prince Regent, Napoleon, Thomas Cochrane etc. Sharpe becomes a Sergeant in 'Tiger' and is Sergeant Sharpe in 'Triumph'



Regards,



Tin

No comments:

Post a Comment